Virginia Tech School Shooting

A forum for anyhing not game related.
Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

Lieva wrote:i know i would have mentioned there was a shooting - the gunman not found but presumed domestic.

that way people would assume it was safe but know it might not be.
perhaps shuting the campus would be wrong but to say it was safe when it wasnt was asking for trouble really...

it is remeniscent of the 9/11 thing.
the first two planes went into the building
the third plane the hostages were told they wouldnt be killed or anything but they chose to die as they couldnt risk the terrorists lying.

Sure the campus did what they deemed right but well, if they had said the gunman isnt identified they may have saved more lives.
But like it has been said - hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Thing is though, being the age i am has kinda deillusioned me to how people in power opperate.
Imo they didnt tell anyone due to money and purely that.
Looking back though, how can you say a persons life is worth less than something (to quote charlie & choc factory) 'as common as money'

I dont know if they could have saved more lifes. The 30 ppl (not counting the first two he killed) that got shot, were shot in the classroom. The campus has over a 100 buildings and i think its close to impossible to warn everyone there is a nutter on campus. They did make a big mistake by sending out an email that everything was ok but i dont think the students in the classroom ever knew something had already happened or even seen the email.
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Lieva wrote:i know i would have mentioned there was a shooting - the gunman not found but presumed domestic.

that way people would assume it was safe but know it might not be.
perhaps shuting the campus would be wrong but to say it was safe when it wasnt was asking for trouble really...

it is remeniscent of the 9/11 thing.
the first two planes went into the building
the third plane the hostages were told they wouldnt be killed or anything but they chose to die as they couldnt risk the terrorists lying.

Sure the campus did what they deemed right but well, if they had said the gunman isnt identified they may have saved more lives.
But like it has been said - hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Thing is though, being the age i am has kinda deillusioned me to how people in power opperate.
Imo they didnt tell anyone due to money and purely that.
Looking back though, how can you say a persons life is worth less than something (to quote charlie & choc factory) 'as common as money'
How would you mention there was a shooting? No speaker system and not enough resources to alert a 26,000 person campus manually, I'm intrigued to know what option you'd have used? e-mail is the closest thing they had to getting the message out to everyone instantly.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Well
they sent the email to say everything was fine.
Obviously it would not cover all but if you are going to do something - do it right yknow? :p
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Satyn wrote:I dont know if they could have saved more lifes. The 30 ppl (not counting the first two he killed) that got shot, were shot in the classroom. The campus has over a 100 buildings and i think its close to impossible to warn everyone there is a nutter on campus. They did make a big mistake by sending out an email that everything was ok but i dont think the students in the classroom ever knew something had already happened or even seen the email.
well i dunno.
See thats what I said
one classroom saw the gunman and barracaded inside.
they knew about it.
but everyone thought it was safe so left the doors open.
Least if you saw him comming in the door (if shut) you could react..
As it was they were prolly all sitting down with the door open - no time to react.

Its just a weird situation totally when you read about it..
I mean, they hear strange noises that everyone ignores and infact go to shut the door so they cannot hear it as it is annoying them.
People get shot - i presume they must have screamed or something...
Was it all in one classroom? from what i gather he was touring the building shooting people..
They think it is possible was more than one person.
More i think on it more i think theyre correct...
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Lieva wrote:Well
they sent the email to say everything was fine.
Obviously it would not cover all but if you are going to do something - do it right yknow? :p
Er, the e-mail didn't say everything was fine, it just said there'd been a shooting, and to report anything suspicious. Think it even mentioned that the gunman hadn't been caught judging by what the news sites said, definitely no reports of the e-mail saying everything was fine though.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

ahh
i thought it had said that as people didnt seem to be that bothered.
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Xest wrote:How would you mention there was a shooting? No speaker system and not enough resources to alert a 26,000 person campus manually, I'm intrigued to know what option you'd have used? e-mail is the closest thing they had to getting the message out to everyone instantly.
Apparently there is a system whereby a message can be sent to every mobile in a cell, which 4 out of the 5 companies in the area support. So the technology was there.

I still don't see the authorities taking a lot of action over a 2 person shooting, it's too hard and causes too much disruption. Even at the final total (and this will sound cruel and heartless) it was ONLY 30 other people!

5 times that number died in Iraq the following day, and got much less coverage because they weren't American!

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

They usually reserve cell messages for major incidents and as you say, 2 people killed in what appeared to be a domestic incident simply isn't that major - certainly not important enough to use emergency warning systems that are designed for things like earth quakes or nuclear holocaust ;)
Ovi wrote:I still don't see the authorities taking a lot of action over a 2 person shooting, it's too hard and causes too much disruption. Even at the final total (and this will sound cruel and heartless) it was ONLY 30 other people!

5 times that number died in Iraq the following day, and got much less coverage because they weren't American!
Indeed, and the more we hear about it, frankly the more I really don't blame the kid, it sounds like he was shit on all the way through his life. The only difference with this kid is that he wasn't just going to kill himself quietly like most bullying victims and instead wanted to make a point that if bullies keep on doing what they do then eventually they'll just make people snap. I'm not convinced he was insane, a madman or a phsycopath like the news tells us but simply someone who'd just been pushed too far such that he couldn't take it anymore. Still, the media ignores the message, American's ignore the gun problem and so should we really care about this at all? America is insistent on ensuring people continue to have easy access to guns and that bullying victims who snap are labelled as insane instead of trying to give them the help they're crying out for. Honestly, I was a little shocked at first but now that it's all come out, I feel sorry for the kid and the victims that truly were innocent in the bullying/gun issues more than America as a whole.

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Someone in america will make a film out of it sooner or later & become extremely rich in the process, and we all know that's the only REALLY important thing in their world. Good job he wasn't Iranian though!
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

the nasa shooting wrote: After the gunman was reported, Building 44, housing communications equipment and engineering offices, was evacuated and an email was sent to staff across the sprawling complex telling them to remain inside their buildings.
well, theyre learning :)
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Return to “Off Topic”