eve

General discussion of other games, especially upcoming MMORPG's.
Sharkith

eve

Post by Sharkith »

There have been several scandals in Eve recently. Apparently people are getting banned from the game for even talking about this link:

http://goonfleet.com/open_letter_to_CCP.html

Interesting stuff.

Sharkith

oh and linky to official discussion on eve forums:

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=526462

apparently the eve forums have been spammed so much they had to bring them down....
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

So...people join RP and its rigged to either loose/win?
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

Lieva wrote:So...people join RP and its rigged to either loose/win?
yes, and more importantly BoB one of the toughest alliances in game have the Developers on hand whenever they need them to ban another player outright from playing accounts he has played on for four years.

Very odd.

Its all ongoing.

Back in Feburary somone found out that a Dev who had left the game had handed a special item to BoB that would have netted them billions of in game money over a period of years.

Basically now people are finding out that the internal roleplaying threads are all pre-determined and this is destroying what was quite a lively aspect of Eve.

Very sad.

So now the forums got taken down and overloaded with spam last night. Today that second thread is expanding like a supernova.
Na Fianna Dragun

Hoonius

Post by Hoonius »

i read that last night and i'm somewhat appalled. It's a recurrance of a previous event, one that could have gone unnoticed but was brought into focus by someone outside the relationship blowing the whistle internally. Again, it was an outsider who blew the whistle this time. Eve has a team of player reporters called the ISD and it was one of those that put 2 and 2 together to work out one of the people he was reporting on was actually talking to the dev team real-time as he got too close to his ship

BoB (Band of Brothers) are the biggest and most powerful entitiy in Eve and have been for a long time. Most people had great respect for them due to their power and sheer organisational skills to put it all to together. A fight with them was pretty much determined before a gun was fired due to them always having greater numbers and the ability to suck up great losses and still be back the next day for more pounding.

When the first incident came to light about them having access to 6 or so pretty rubbish Blueprints, much of the community was outraged that something like this could have happened whereby BoB had an Eve developer in their ranks giving them solid items in-game and also informing them of events well in advance so they could be there to get whatever rewards would drop. Eve has seen some fantastic events where one-of-a-kind items were given out as part of the story.

This latest batch of news does not bode well at all. 'The Great War' is all around with BoB vs Eve and it seems that even the whole of Eve can't win due to them having insider information.

The BoB guys could be very cocky at times, riding on the wave of success their allaince has shown but, their tone was certainly different when the members realised the managment had been rigging the success through the development team. Many left in shame and I suspect many more will also leave now as well.

While I am appalled this could happen again, I have a suspicion it will actually turn the game around. BoB can not surely gain anymore goodies from the Devs so the tables should be balanced combat wise. However, the legacy of all the money they made from the initial gifts is still around and churning in loads of interest via big investment so they can cover losses better than anyone else, making them more battle friendly. Let's see how it pans out

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

Hoon,

what do you think if CCP's response?

http://myeve.eve-online.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=472

I am very impressed with a company that takes its image and customers this seriously. I cannot remember any company that has responded so emphatically to this kind of thing anywhere else.

I am always impressed with CCP and I think some other companies could learn something from them.

Sharkith
Na Fianna Dragun

Hoonius

Post by Hoonius »

CCP are as transparent as you could get in the MMO world, but it does lead to suspicion, as was the case here i think.

The fact that the company talks to the players is good, but it's also really bad and can cause some finger pointing due to the open channels of communication they have with the players. I'm pretty sure this whole thing was caused by some sore losing on the part of GoonSwarm.

But I'm glad they sorted it out, had a clean up in-house and then told everybody what has happened.

The only shame is that it takes 3 months to start a character else i'd give you all buddy keys so you could see for yourselves. EvE is a really good game. The PvP turns me into a dribbling mess all the time, not sure whether i'm coming or going lol, makes for some pretty mad times tho

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

I am in Eve my main is Natasha Donnan and I have an alt for trading. :)
Na Fianna Dragun

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

This is Goonswarms response. It is interesting because it shows that a lot of damage to trust has occurred.

http://goonfleet.com/reply_to_CCP.html

I should point out that Goonswarm did something impressive - they got the MMO industry's attention.

Sharkith
Na Fianna Dragun

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

seems kinda ironic that the guy is called 'sharkbait'

:D
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia